MeetingGuide Forums Nature Coast Online Meeting Disease of Alcoholism

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    seabeard9
    Keymaster

Until we alcoholics understood alcoholism better, we are defeated by it. The disease concept adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous through the Doctor’s opinion (Big Book xxv – xxxii) should be a definite read for all alcoholics. In modern times, as defined by the American Society of Addiction Medicine, alcoholism, like other addictions, is a chronic disease affecting the reward, memory, and motivation systems of the brain. This, in turn, leads to dysfunction in physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual manifestations for individuals who are struggling with it. In addition, as with other chronic illnesses, there is no cure for alcoholism; however, there is treatment available that can help individuals manage the condition.

aamakesmesmile
    Participant

Page 44 in the Big Book says, “If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.” I did not know alcoholism was a disease. I just had been convinced I was immoral, had no will power and was a disgusting person. I could only think of the booze and constantly was craving more and more alcohol in all its forms. Thank God I found AA and the steps which led me to the spiritual experience that removed the craving. I even now can accept the concept of “allergy” in the total sense that while the only breaking out I do is into handcuffs rather than hives, the results of drinking for me certainly are different than the non-alcoholics I know. I always wondered how people could drink just one or leave part of a drink unfinished on the table. I sure wouldn’t – couldn’t do that. So, having a disease, I know I must abstain, and I know I have to have meetings and the fellowship and 12 step program of AA including lots of 12 step work to stay sober and be as “normal” as my disease will allow me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.