MeetingGuide Forums Nature Coast Online Meeting online meetings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    johns57
    Participant

Somehow, one of the photos I have used online popped up here when I created my account. I don’t mind, however, I suppose “anyone” could theoretically come to this web site and create an account and see my 40 year old photo. I wonder if they would recognize me?
    But seriously, doing AA online presents a lot of potential “press, radio and film” problems.
    As a former newspaper reporter, I have some experience here both as someone who tried to respect AA’s traditions, and also as someone who noticed how frightened AA members can be of anonimity breaks.
    But as long as an AA member is sharing in an ostensibly private way or confidential way, I wonder if the burden of responsibility is not on them for breaking anonimity, but on the person who might spread that information around. After all, anyone can theoretically can walk into a meeteing and “spy.”

seabeard9
    Keymaster

Apparently many of us have a “gravatar” which follows us all over the web. I did not know this. Now I do. I have found out how to disable avatars on the site, and hope they disappear. Another of you out of habit used your normal user name which indicated to the world your last name. We changed that. We are using the latest technology, just like Bill W did in the lobby of the Mayflower Hotel. However, anonymity was easier in 1935 on the phone. (Remember Sir Walter in the Can and is your refrigerator running pranks we played as a kid). We just have to be careful and like we have from these two mistakes, learn from our mistakes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.